Sunday, February 26, 2012

Scarlett Brae is here!

Sweet Scarlett
One last pregnant shot at 40 weeks
Scarlett's arrival



Sisters

1 week old
Checking on his little sister
sleepyhead
In awe of her little sister
First bathtime


First doctor appointment, weighed 7 lbs, 13.5 ozs


Hudson's first time holding his little sister. He doesn't look happy, but we kept asking if he was done and he'd just say "nope".
Mema and Scarlett
On the way home from the hospital
Daddy and daughter
These are a few of the pics we have from our first week with Scarlett. More to come, but they are on several different cameras. Now for her birth story before I forget:)
I was so hoping that Scarlett was going to come on her own and even had a night a couple days before her induction that I really thought was it, but the contractions kept stopping. Sooo, we decided that we had waited long enough to meet her and set an induction for her due date, Friday, February 17th. The hospital was supposed to call that morning when they had a room available. We woke up Friday morning and waited and waited, so finally called and there was some confusion back and forth, but they finally called about 11:30 and said to come in. We got there about 12:30 and unfortunately they had filled back up again. We eventually got into a room around 3 and waited for a visit from the midwife to start things. I really wanted her to break my water and just see if things kicked in and she agreed to give it a try. That was at 4:15. We agreed to give it an hour, because it was already getting late and we didn't want to drag things well into the night. Apparently breaking my water in the absence of labor was not what I had hoped it would be and my contractions were about 8 minutes apart and not very strong. Around 5 we decided to go ahead and start pitocin and get the epidural, except wait...they lost my blood and so I had no bloodwork done. I did not want pitocin without an epidural after my experience with Hudson, so we waited another hour or so and then started the pitocin. The anesthesiologist came in shortly after and numbed me up. That was about 6:30. I will say that getting an epidural is much more uncomfortable when you're not in pain. Jason, my mom, and I read, played words with friends, and talked for a while and at 8 the midwife came and checked my progress, 5-6 centimeters, and she said she'd be back in a couple hours. At about 9 I started feeling pressure with my contractions and asked Jason to get the midwife. She came in and said there was plenty of room to push a baby out, but she was still high at about a -2 and that her head was not exactly in the right position. She had me turn on my side with my leg in a kind've weird position and said it would help the baby come down. It took all of 5-10 minutes and Scarlett was at +2 and ready to come out. I pushed through 2 contractions and she was here at 9:36pm. Her labor and delivery were super easy and a wonderful experience. When we saw her for the first time, she looked so small. Scarlett was 8 lbs 4 ozs and 21.5 inches long. We fell in love instantly! They immediately put her on my chest and she calmed right down. I got to hold her for quite a while before they checked her out and then just after got to nurse her. She latched right on and has been a wonderful nurser ever since. We had lots of family come to visit. Kaitlin was so excited did not want to leave her new baby sister...EVER. She loved holding her. Hudson didn't hold her until we got home, but he was intrigued by her from the get go. We went home Sunday morning and have been adjusting to life with 3 kids ever since.
Scarlett is a wonderful baby. She started out sleeping 4 hour stretches at night and at one week is already up to 6 hours. I was actually only up once last night! She is such a quiet sleeper that I have had to check to make sure she was still breathing. I have never seen such a content baby. She rarely ever cries, still sleeps alot, and awake time is spent just looking around quietly. We are in awe of our new little sweetheart! God has blessed us greatly!






3 comments:

JM said...

Love the new pictures!

Janelle said...

Love these Jenn!!! She is such a pretty baby!! Blessings. :)

Anonymous said...

Such good pictures!! Thanks for sharing. You do such a good job. Maybe I can come up sometime and spend the day when I can babysit and help out! Love you all. Mema