This is the beginning of my attempt to catch up on everything before Scarlett's arrival in approximately 7 weeks.
Sadly it's been so long that I can't remember exactly when we started, but shortly after Hudson's 2nd birthday we took a stab at potty training. I have always said that I would wait until he was almost 3, because I've heard boys take longer and why push it and make it hard on all of us? Well Hudson had been #2ing on the potty for a month or so(which he picked up all by himself). One day he just started telling me and we have done it on the potty ever since. He also was able to pee on the potty anytime I asked him if he wanted to go, so I figured why not try. We went to get some big boy undies, boxer briefs, because the chunkiness was too much for tighties. Daddy gave him a lesson on how to stand up and he thought that was fantastic:)
Day 1 there were of course several accidents, but also several successes. It was a typical hard first day and mommy was exhausted by the end of it.
Day 2 started out tough, but turned around by the afternoon. He started holding it for at least 30-45 minutes at a time.
Day 3 we had no accidents!!!!
Day 4 there were a couple accidents, but I figured we'd been through the worst and we started venturing out. He loves going in public restrooms, funny boy!
For the next 3 weeks we had success and failure off and on. It seemed whenever we were somewhere he was comfortable he would decide it wasn't worth taking the time to go potty. If we went out of town, for example the mountains, he had 4 days of no accidents. It was extremely confusing and frustrating. I would think he was potty trained and then we'd have a day where it seemed he completely relapsed. One of Huddy's favorite moments to go was in the car and he would thankfully tell me he had to go, but then we'd have to pull over, jump out, climb in the back and use the little potty. Being pregnant did not help this situation.
Finally, I found myself getting angry with poor Huddy when he'd have an accident, because I knew he knew better. After some time with the Lord, I decided to give up and go back to diapers. This was not easy and felt like defeat, but it has truly been the best thing. He still poops in the potty 99% of the time which is so great! The rest of the time we just do diapers. Hudson still asks me to go on the potty every now and then and I have a feeling when we attempt again it will not be very hard to master....though I'm not sure when that will be.
No comments:
Post a Comment